Above photo: Fahrenheit 451. Photo by Richard Termine.
Aquila is one of the foremost producers of touring classical theater in the United States, visiting 50-60 American cities per year.
Aquila Theatre's mission is to bring the greatest works to the greatest number. We believe passionately that everyone should be given the opportunity to engage with classical drama of the highest quality at an affordable price right in their own community, experience arts from other places and exchange ideas. We re-examine what constitutes a classical work and, in so doing, seek to expand the canon. We endeavor to create bold reinterpretations of classical plays for contemporary audiences that free the spirit of the original work and recreate the excitement of the live performance. Aquila presents its work each year in New York City, tours nationwide, provides extensive educational programming and is well known for its innovative humanities and arts based public programs.
- Plays and events in New York City and at international festivals.
- An annual 50+ city tour of two productions performed in rep across the US.
- National educational programming including mainstage school performances, one-hour Shakespeare performances, and post-show Q&A sessions with Aquila artists and workshops.
- Shakespeare Leaders, an intensive after-school classical theatre program for inner city kids. Currently at Frederick Douglass Academy in Harlem, NY.
- National humanities based public programming. Current programs include Warrior Chorus, a national initiative that trains veterans to present innovative public programs based on ancient literature.