Above Photo: Photo by Jeremy Lock.
THE TROJAN WAR: OUR WARRIOR CHORUS
“Let me not then die ingloriously and without a struggle, but let me first do some great thing that shall be told among men hereafter.”
― Homer, The Iliad, Book 22 (Tr. R. Fagles)
The Aquila Theatre and American combat veterans/actors of the Warrior Chorus collaborate on a unique theatrical experience – The Trojan War, where the classic myths of ancient Greece and Rome are set against the compelling narratives of modern war.
The Trojan War uses epic moments from Homer’s Iliad and scenes from other classical Greek drama and poetry to propel a thrilling chronicle of men and women at war. The clash of gods and heroes, the rage of Achilles, the suicide of Ajax, the fall of Troy and the rise of Rome are among the many stories of war and homecoming told by the Aquila Theatre alongside members of the Warrior Chorus.
The Warrior Chorus is a national program that brings together men and women who served in the United States military and trains them to the highest level in the performing arts and humanities.
The Warrior Chorus is Veteran Made American Art and is supported by a major grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities. The program is hosted at New York University, Columbia University, The University of Texas at Austin and The University of Southern California.
Click on the red theatre names to purchase tickets. For a complete list of all Aquila's performances, you can look at our schedule.
- Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 7:00 PM Performance - McCullough Theatre - University of Texas at Austin
- Thursday, March 23, 2017 - 7:00 PM Performance - McCullough Theatre - University of Texas at Austin
- Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 8:00 PM Performance - Lone Tree Arts Center, Lone Tree, CO
- Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 8:00 PM Performance - Stewart Theater at North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC
- Sunday, April 1, 2017 - 8:00 PM Performance - Alden Theatre - McLean Community Center, McLean, VA
- Friday, April 7, 2017 - 8:00 PM Performance - McCain Auditorium - Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS
Additionally, Aquila Theatre will be holding veteran-led Warrior Chorus workshops at these venues around the performance dates. Using classical texts like The Illiad and The Odyssey, these workshops are meant to encourage a deeper level of understanding between the veteran and civilian communities and provide tools to generate honest and necessary discussion through the power of story telling. Workshops are open to active members of the military, veterans, spouses and significant others, parents, high school and adult-aged children, and anyone who wishes to gain a better understanding of the military community.
The following workshops have been scheduled with exact times to be announced soon:
- Tuesday, March 21, 2017 - University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX
- Friday, March 24, 2017 - University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX
- Saturday, March 25, 2017 - Lone Tree Arts Center, Lone Tree, CO
- Thursday, March 30, 2017 - North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC
- Thursday, April 6, 2017 - Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS
For more information please contact Aquila Theatre's administrative office at (914) 401-9494 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Details for New York City performances in April 2017 coming soon!